Bonanza 1:1 - "A Rose for a Lotta Anachronisms"

I watched this episode and thought to myself, "UGH. There is no way I can continue to watch this series." Even though it's a clean, interesting adventure story set in the exact right time and place that I am currently researching, there was just so much wrong with it.

I mean, for starters, the Wikipedia page for Bonanza says it is set in 1849. 

Um, no way. NO WAY.



This is not what Virginia City, Carson Valley area (which wasn't even a county), Utah Territory looked like ca 1849. There was only one manufacturing facility in the area in 1855, which was Orson Hyde's sawmill which he ended up reluctantly leasing to my ancestor, Jacob H. Rose, in 1856. 

The other big problems I had were:
- 1940's/1950's style dress on the vaudeville actress woman who was singing more of a ca 1880's/1890's song.



The Chinese didn't show up in the area until 1856 or 1857. Possibly even as late as 1859. NOT 1849.

Also...what's with the Ponderosa guys being so ecologically-minded? I seriously doubt they would have actually refused to sell timber to the sawmill "silver kings" in real life. Not believable. It reeks of presentism.

Especially when the Ponderosa is supposed to be located exactly in the spot where Orson Hyde's mill at Franktown was located. Neither Hyde, nor the guys who came after, cared very much about how the trees would affect running their ranch, I think.



Finally, the choreographed punches made me laugh hysterically and replay over and over. They are just too funny. See for yourself!



I've been talking about the book series Conan the Barbarian with my friend a bit. To sum it all up, I am a bit concerned that Bonanza will end up just like Conan (what I imagine Conan to be, since I ain't touchin' that 1930's *male* fantasy series with a ten foot pole): a series where the men are brawny, handsome, and morally superior Gary Stu's who constantly rescue half-naked damsels in distress (blatant sex objects), wave around their weapons, and there's a lot of ridiculous-to-the-point-of-hilarious violence. Bonanza seems to make the promise that everyone will live happily ever after, but my friend said Conan doesn't. I guess we will see. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacob H. Rose goes to court

Bonanza 1:2 - Death on Sun Mountain, oh yeah, and in the valley too